Venue: SIMAD University, Mogadishu, Somalia
Date and time: 22- 26 March 2017
Technological innovation is taking place at a breath-taking pace. Simple, open source internet-based applications and services designed to enhance on-line collaboration are now available to the wider public at little or no cost at all. These new online technologies known as Web 2.0 and ‘social media’ enable people to collaborate to create, share and publish information.
With technical support provided by the Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation ACP-EU (CTA), SIMAD University (SU) organizes a ‘Web 2.0 and Social Media Learning Opportunity’ in Mogadishu, Somalia.
Participants will be introduced to selected Web 2.0 and Social Media applications and will learn how to use them hands-on. They will get a chance to see what others have done, get hands-on experience on how to use innovative applications, and assess how they could adopt these innovations within the context of their work and organization.
CTA has a mandate to facilitate access to and dissemination of information in the fields of agriculture and rural development in 78 countries in Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific (ACP). Supporting the adoption of Web 2.0 and Social Media applications represents a great opportunity for meeting it.
Programme of the Learning Opportunity:
- Web 2.0 and Social Media: concepts and principles;
- Selective access to information via (i) advanced multilingual search options; (ii) RSS and (iii) automated alerts;
- Content curation: Tagging and Social Bookmarking;
- Photos for the web;
- Remote collaboration (e.g. GoogleDrive, Dropbox);
- Online conversations (Skype, Google Hangouts, Viber, Whatsapp);
- Online mapping (New Google Maps);
- Blogging (Blogger or WordPress);
- Micro-blogging (Twitter);
- Social networking (LinkedIn and Facebook), risks and mitigation measures;
- Online Communities of Practice;
- Web 2.0 and Social Media for Agri-business and marketing.
- Web 2.0 self-instruction (introduction to IMARK)
Who can participate? Eligibility criteria
- Be computer literate and conversant with browsing the Internet;
- have regular access to a computer (ownership of a computer is an advantage);
- be in a position to take along a WIFI-enabled laptop to the training;
- have an active e-mail account;
- be able to shoulder the costs of participation to the event (see below)
- be actively engaged in agriculture and rural development: political value chains and agricultural trade, etc. (primary target)
- be resident in Somalia
Participation of women is strongly encouraged.
Course fee = 30 USD (10 USD for registration and 20 USD for certificates) payable in advance.
The fee is meant to cover the costs incurred by SIMAD University in the preparation of the event. The cost also includes the provision of refreshments during the training.
In addition to paying the course fee, participants will be responsible for all costs related to their travel and accommodation to and from the training venue located in SIMAD University. Participants are also required to bring their own WIFI-enabled laptop.
SIMAD University is responsible for the organization of the event. As a partner, CTA provides technical support, ensures monitoring and quality control and offers trainees the opportunity to join online communities of peers.
During each event, SIMAD University will provide refreshments and distribute copies of CTA publications and instructional material.
Registration procedure and deadline
Interested people have to register via this link. Registration will be confirmed after completion of the online questionnaire and payment of the course fee. The organizers will get individually in touch with registrants and provide information on how to pay the course fee and join the event.
Deadline for registration: March 15, 2017
Contact (for clarifications)
Mr. Husein Osman Abdullahi
Deputy Dean (Admission & Record)
Email : email@example.com