SIMAD University hosted two full-day workshop for the academic staff of the university on 2-3 April 2018. The workshop was co-organized by the Center for Research & Development and the Human Resource office, and it is facilitated by Professor Abdulkadir A. Egal who is the director of the center for sustainable livelihoods at the Vaal University of Technology in South Africa. This workshop is designed for academic researchers and junior faculty to provide increased capacity to produce high-quality publications and develop successful research center of excellence.
The Deputy Rector for institutional development, Eng. Mohamed Mohamud Mohamed together with Dr. Mohamed Ibrahim Nor, the deputy Rector for Academics opened the workshop and welcomed both the facilitator and the participants.
The first day of the workshop was about the research induction program and different topics were covered that include:
- Research tools
- Writing an effective research proposal
- Importance of the research
- Writing effective literature
- Research skills that every researcher should have.
In the second day, the workshop facilitator focused on applied research for institutional support and the main mission was to turn the first-day topics into an action and the establishment of research working groups and center of excellence. However, after long hours of analysis, the following recommendations were highlighted.
- Establishing faculty research centers and faculty research committees.
- To work upon the interdependence and collaboration of the faculties at the side of research.
- Making all faculties of the university very strong and self-reliant.
- Turning the knowledge into income generation and fundraising through research and community engagements.
- Creating external funding for community research
- Innovating SIMAD research style.
- Establishing technical and center of excellence
In the end, the participants shared their views on the workshop, “this workshop encourages us to turn our knowledge into an action and be publishers” said Ayoub Mohamud Hussein who is the deputy dean, student affairs office and was among the beneficiaries of this workshop.
Finally, SU Rector Ustad Dahir Hasan Arab closed the two-day long workshop. He extended his thanksgiving to Professor Abdulkadir A. Egal for his time and sacrifice of coming to SIMAD and conducting such fruitful workshop. “In the coming years, delegates from SIMAD will travel to the Vaal University of Technology, and we are looking forward networking among the faculty deans and directors of both universities,” Said SU Rector Mr. Arab.
This workshop which was benefited by more than 50 staff was the beginning of efforts to maintain and turn into practice the joined forces agreement signed by SIMAD and Vaal on February 21, 2018.