SIMAD UNIVERSITY is currently seeking a qualified Civil Engineering laboratory technician to join members of the Faculty of Engineering.
He will work as part of the faculty team, to provide the staff and students of the Faculty with skilled, technical support for concrete, soils, and building materials. He will participate in both teaching and research in the faculty. Skills that should be provided by this kind of technician cover a wide range of disciplines including working with concrete, soils, use of testing materials. The technician also contributes to the teaching of civil engineering students and the supervision of students in the use of equipment during group or individual research projects. the Operator will work at the main campus of SU as the duty station.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Using a high degree of technical expertise and assistance and recommendations to students at all levels of academic and research.
- To maintain and manage civil engineering Laboratories, including soils, concrete, construction materials, and all other parts of the laboratory.
- Use and maintenance of soils/concrete testing equipment, in all aspects of sample preparation and casting.
- To advise and support students in the design, construction, and provision of research and laboratory experiments.
- Assisting with initial site surveys.
- Creating engineering design plans, by hand or with computer-aided design (CAD) software.
- supervising and demonstrating the safe use of laboratory equipment to the students.
- To check, clean and maintain laboratory equipment.
- Preparing estimates of labor costs and the amount and type of materials.
- To help faculty staff for conducting national researches based on the sandy soil in the country.
The Civil Engineering Lab Technician needs to understand the basic principles of civil engineering and the equipment and supplies used in civil engineering laboratories, along with the safety procedures for their use. Here are some basic skills that are required:
- Being able to work in academic environments
- Having good communication skills (English) and the ability to work well with students and faculty members.
- Knowledge of civil engineering principles and practices.
- Ability to write reports containing technical information.
- Ability to conduct field inspections, surveys, and measurements for civil engineering projects.
- Records maintenance skills.
- Ability to set up, calibrate, operate, troubleshoot, and maintain testing equipment and instruments.
- Ability to prepare and process laboratory samples using established protocols.
- Ability to devise non-standard materials testing methods and procedures for civil engineering projects.
- Skill in collecting, analyzing, verifying, and manipulating research data.
- Ability to perform complex engineering calculations using prescribed procedures and formulas.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
- Ability to coordinate and maintain civil engineering laboratory protocol, procedures, equipment, and facilities.
- Knowledge of data collection techniques.
- Ability to train and supervise technical staff and students in laboratory operations.
- Ability to perform the most complex laboratory technician assignments.
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
- Knowledge of Quality Assurance Procedures
Other Key Skills
- Highly motivated
- Excellent presentation skills
- Excellent research skills
- Written and verbal communication skills
- AutoCAD 2D / 3D
Education and Experience: Possession of a bachelor degree or higher with at least two years’ experience as a Laboratory Technician.
Deadline: 30 December 2017